BLUES SUMMIT EIGHT ‘HOOD GUIDE
Welcome to Toronto! The Summit hotel, the Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel, is located in the heart of our Music City, and there are a wide variety of spots nearby for eating, drinking, meeting and hanging out.
The hotel is surrounded on three sides by the Eaton Centre, Toronto’s major mall. In addition to having just about every kind of store you’ll ever need, want or not want, the food court, Urban Eatery, is classier than your average food court (like with silverware and plates!), and there are a range of dining options — more info on that via BlogTO or Zomato. Also in the Eaton Centre, in addition to several different restaurants, and in sight of the lobby, is Trattoria Mercatto, a great Italian spot http://trattoria.mercatto.ca/ and there are other full-service restaurants throughout the building.
It would be difficult to walk more than a block without stumbling upon a Starbuck’s or Tim Horton’s. However, if you’re looking for something different…
Aroma Espresso Bar 562 Bay St, Toronto, ON M5G 0B3 https://aroma.ca/
Great coffee and options for all meals, and a nice space to hang; across the street (Bay) from the hotel.
Bannock 401 Bay St. bannockrestaurant.com
Cafe with grab-and-go/grab-and-sit options and full-service restaurant featuring “Canadian Comfort Food” just south of the hotel, at the intersection of Dundas and Bay.
Breakfast nearby is available at a range of spots, including the aforementioned coffee joints:
- Denny’s 121 Dundas St W dennys.ca is a half-block from the hotel.
- Fran’s 200 Victoria St fransrestaurant.com is a family restaurant chain opposite the legendary Massey Hall.
- The Senator 249 Victoria St thesenator.com classic, classy, historic and popular diner.
- Eggspectation South Tower 483 Bay Street (facing Albert St.) – http://eggspectation.com/locations/canada/toronto-bell-trinity-square/ is just south of the hotel.
Dundas St. West, just west of Bay St, features a large assortment of great Korean and Japanese restaurants, any of which will do the trick, including:
- Quick noodles from Kenzo Ramen (138 Dundas St W, kenzoramen.ca), the bustling Don Don Izakaya (130 Dundas West, dondonizakaya.com), or good Korean at Bapbo Korean Restaurant (142 Dundas St W, bapbokoreanjapaneserestaurant.ca).
- Lai Wah Heen (108 Chestnut St, laiwahheen.com) is an upscale dimsum restaurant in the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, just off Dundas.
- Just north of the Dundas/Bay intersection is crazy-popular Uncle Tetsu’s Japanese Cheesecake (598 Bay St uncletetsu-ca.com). Look for the long line, in which people stand for literally hours. Imagine you have enough time to be in it long enough to get the opportunity to purchase a cheesecake. Walk on.
Elm Street, two blocks north of Dundas, between Bay St. and Yonge St features:
- Queen & Beaver (35 Elm St queenandbeaverpub.ca), a classic, and classy, British pub with great food, as well as local institution Barbarian’s Steak House (7 Elm St, barberians.com), the folks behind which are also behind the sandwich-counter spin-off TLP (15 Elm St).
Queen St West, a short (15ish-min) walk from the hotel, features a large number of restaurants, including:
- global-cuisinesters Queen Mother Cafe (208 Queen St W, queenmothercafe.ca),
- upscale Zagat-rated Note Bene (180 Queen St W) and much more.
Chinatown is a ten-plus min walk; it runs along Spadina Ave between College St and Queen St, as well as along Dundas St. between Beverley St and Spadina, and features a large number of great Chinese and Vietnamese spots, like
- higher-end Asian Legend (418 Dundas St W asianlegend.ca/),
- no-frills Pho Hung (350 Spadina, phohung.ca) and…
- Hong Kong diner Goldstone Noodle (266 Spadina, goldstonenoodle.blogspot.ca).
Liquor: The closest LCBO (lcbo.com) is in the Atrium on Bay (595 Dundas St W).
Pharmacy: There is a Shopper’s Drug Mart (shoppersdrugmart.ca) in the Eaton Centre (Unit 1 – 124B) and another at the intersection of Gerrard and Bay St, 3 blocks north of the hotel.
24-hr Convenience Stores: Mac’s is at 144 Dundas at Elizabeth, just west of Bay/Dundas; Fine Food Market at 711 Bay (Bay/Gerrard) is a few blocks north of Bay/Dundas.